September 7, 2011

the coercing artist

Today we had a conversation about life:


About changing our once-deeply rooted ideas and becoming more open-minded to new things. About picking up new hobbies. About following your passions in life rather than solely chasing money. I think chasing money results in a mid-life crisis when you realize what you've been chasing isn't really that fulfilling after all, and then it's too late. A friend would often chime in here and say 'but it's about priorities.'

The conversation then veered to art. I divulged that art to me was creation, almost with a religious effect. Like an abstract representation of the self, loose and formless, hard to quantify. Of course it also represents communication of the mind and the ability to articulate the nuances of one's thoughts. I often question why I do art, I guess it's nice to think about it from time to time.

I relate art to evoking emotions from an audience. I think this sort of humanistic experience really teaches me about society and that's why I love photography. Another friend once told me that humans are more relatable, and I couldn't agree more. I think that's also why portrait photography is amongst the hardest.

Thus the actor must play his part: to satisfy and coerce his audience.



12FV.

12FV facebook here.
12FV twitter here.

5 comments:

pdhl said...

so the actor continues to play his part, becoming known for his ability to satisfy and coerce, one compelling act at a time - until he transcends his human audience, and begins looking down from his position amongst the stars.

and the artist, who tries to communicate his art - as this "abstract representation of [his] self, loose, and formless, hard to quantify" - simply cannot, because his audience would not be able to fully comprehend the complexity of the artist's message.

equivocally then, the artists and actors are both entertaining performers, yet masterful illusionists.

12FV, RFV said...

'one compelling act at a time,' i like that a lot.

as for the gap between audience comprehension and the artist explanations, this is my goal as an artist: to speak in a way where everyone can understand, to break down complexities into simple ideas that anyone can relate to. this is true mastery of communication.

pdhl said...

well said. often times the original message or meaning gets lost through simple misinterpretations by the audience. i think that's why those to the likes of Shepard Fairey and the enigmatic Banksy truly understand the power of communication through art!

Britt Kee said...

love this.

i have the same goal, to make art more attainable for everyone. to communicate the emotions that some can not. from complex to simple emotions, i want others to understand and feel the freedom of expressing them

12FV, RFV said...

thanks for the comment britt. its these types of conversations that compel me to write more. very much appreciated.